Thursday 14 January 2016

Summative Statement


From knowledge I have gained about organ donation and discovering the most effective ways to engage audiences to connect to the issue, I have created a body of work which depicts one mans journey after having a heart transplant at the age of nine, making the issue feel more real and connectable.  Personalisation and journeys have always been of interest to me, my aim was to make the subject of organ donation elusive at first, focusing on individualism, thus allowing the viewer to connect and get to know the person instead, evoking a empathic response when learning his link and reliance on organ donation.

 As well as empathy being a key driver to a positive reaction within health campaigns, a positive outlook has proven to be a preferred method of campaigning according to the research I have gathered. From discussions with the organ recipient himself, he strongly wanted positivity to be expressed within the work I created, highlighting how organ donation changes lives, showing what can be achieved for those who have had a transplant.

I began the project with the intention to create an advertising campaign, however, through my documentary investigation of the subject and personal engagement with Adam both in person and virtually, the project has become primarily about myself developing empathy towards the subject and Adam. Understanding and reflecting on his personal experiences has made me more considerate and sensitive about how I communicated certain elements of his life, informing my technical practice and my approach to the issue. His input changed the direction and focus of my work, enabling me to depict him in a way he was comfortable with but would also convey the right positive message. I knew that a soft approach was my preferred method, the literature sources consulted ( Yau, 2012) and primary data I collected reaffirmed this approach. My approach needed to overcome the barriers of information overload and bombardment, to avoid people feeling helpless and unable to offer assistance.

The book was designed to be un-obvious in the first instance, allowing the viewer to build a picture about a person, which isn’t complete, intriguing them to find out the purpose of the book and its story. Curiosity leads the viewers journey through the book to the last page which gives a realisation of the true background of the story, at this point the viewer may re-evaluate what they have seen and have a sense of empathy towards the subject, which may provoke a positive action. The book format allows the viewer to take time to engage with the subject, something a poster does not allow, (Burtenshaw, Mahon, and Barfoot, 2011) which lets the viewer contemplate the contents in their own time.


This experience has been a continuation of past work in terms of approach and taking a journey with a worthy outcome that serves a purpose. Thought provoking projects involving social issues are a strong area of interest in my practice, and this research has impacted positively on my skills and approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment